Libertarianism Really Is All About Me

I hear people all the time attack libertarianism as being "all about me", or some variant thereof.  We try to defend ourselves by saying that it isn't so, but you know what?  They are right.

Libertarianism really is all about me.  It starts with me and ends with everyone else.  It begins with my recognition that I am not special.  The universe owes me nothing, and if I expect to get something, I realize that I am going to have to work for it.  I understand that it is not right for me to commit acts of aggression against others in order to get what I want.  I can simply see no justification for it.  I look around and see no distinguishing characteristics of any individual I have ever met that should give them the special right to initiate the use of force against me.  Likewise, no group of 5 or 10 or 10 million such individuals has that special right either.

I recognize that I have no right to initiate the use of force against others.  Everything else flows from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...